Dr. Stewart Kerr is a board-certified, fellowship-trained orthopedic surgeon specializing both in comprehensive spine surgery (including neck / cervical) and orthopaedic fracture-trauma reconstruction. He also regularly performs joint replacements.
Dr. Kerr strives for superior surgical results by optimizing all controllable factors before the operation. He carefully listens and provides thoughtful education, allowing patients to select the treatment that best fits with their individual health goals. Dr. Kerr is supported by Shannon Dieffenderfer, PA-C.
He graduated from the Uniformed Services University School of Medicine in Bethesda, Maryland, adjacent to the National Institutes of Health (NIH). He completed his orthopedic surgery residency at the Naval Medical Center San Diego, Navy Medicine’s most active teaching hospital.
Dr. Kerr’s advanced training includes two fellowships. He graduated from the combined Neurosurgery / Orthopedic Spine Surgery Fellowship at the prestigious Rothman Institute in Philadelphia under the tutelage of global leaders in spinal surgery. He later completed an Orthopedic Fracture and Trauma Reconstruction Fellowship at UCSF Fresno, the busiest Level 1 Trauma Injury and Burn Center in California.
A decorated U.S. Navy combat veteran, Dr. Kerr has extensive wartime field surgery and tertiary medical center reconstruction experience. He regularly deployed overseas as a team surgeon for the elite military Rangers, Delta Force and SEAL Teams serving in both the Afghanistan and Iraq wars. Before attending medical school, Dr. Kerr worked for eight years as a U.S. Navy SEAL, after graduating with BUD/S Class #136.
Dr. Kerr has served as co-director of the Comprehensive Spine Center in Portsmouth, Virginia, and was academic teaching faculty for orthopedic surgery residents at the Naval Medical Centers in Portsmouth and San Diego. He is AO Spine faculty and has published numerous papers, textbook chapters, and has lectured widely. He volunteers with the Diver’s Alert Network as a Diving (Hyperbaric) Medical Officer and with the National Ski Patrol.
Dr. Kerr is a member of the American Medical Association, AO Spine North America, North American Spine Society, Orthopaedic Trauma Association, and Society of Military Orthopaedic Surgeons.
Dr. Kerr is a Seattle native. He and his wife Karen enjoy sharing any free time together outdoors skiing, camping and scuba diving. He also enjoys fishing, cycling, hiking, remote travel, photography and oil painting.
- Neck & Spine Fracture Repair
- Minimally Invasive Surgery
- Endoscopic Spine Surgery / Decompression
- Complex Cervical & Spinal Deformity Reconstruction
- Complex Fracture Repair, Including Pelvis and Acetabulum / Joint Reconstruction
- M.D. Uniformed Services University, Bethesda, MD
Internship / Residency
- General Surgery Internship, Naval Medical Center, San Diego, CA
- Orthopaedic Surgery Residency, Naval Medical Center, San Diego, CA
- Combined Orthopaedic and Neurosurgical Spinal Surgery Fellowship, Thomas Jefferson University & The Rothman Institute, Philadelphia, PA
- Orthopaedic Traumatology Fellowship, UCSF Fresno, CA
- American Board of Orthopedic Surgery
- Former Active Duty U.S. Navy Medical Officer. Duties included overseas combat service deployments; Resident Teaching Faculty; Chief, Spine Center
- U.S. Navy Combat Swimmer / SEAL (BUD/S Class 136, ST2, JSOC, NSWC, JMAU)
- Seattle Met Magazine Top Doctor - 2020, 2021, 2022