Doctors who work in the field of physical medicine – also known as physiatry – specialize in the diagnosis and treatment of a range of different health conditions. This may include treating patients with a disability, chronic pain, or injuries affecting the musculoskeletal and neurological systems.
Additionally, physical medicine and rehabilitation specialists assist patients in ongoing pain management and rehabilitation. Physicians in this medical specialty, known as physiatrists, offer an array of nonsurgical pain treatments, including medicine, physical therapy, and spine injections.
Our physical medicine and rehabilitation specialist sees patients for a wide range of conditions, including:
- Back pain
- Disorders of the musculoskeletal system
- Joint pain
- Neck pain
- Neurological and neuromuscular conditions
- Spinal cord injuries and spine problems
- Sports injuries and work-related injuries
The first thing we do is offer our clients a full evaluation to correctly diagnose the underlying problem. Depending on the nature of the illness or injury, this evaluation may encompass a physical exam, the use of X-rays, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), or electrodiagnostics, such as electromyography (EMG) and nerve conduction studies (NCS). We’ll use all the resources at our disposal to reach the right medical conclusions, then talk with you about an individualized treatment plan.
In addition to offering occupational medicine and rehabilitation plans, our physiatrist provides numerous pain treatment options, including physical therapy, interventional spinal therapeutics, trigger point injections, botulinum toxin injection therapy, ultrasound-guided injections, and nonsurgical sports medicine care.
A physical medicine and rehabilitation doctor will always seek nonsurgical solutions whenever possible. In cases where surgery may be the best option, we’ll talk with you about what that entails. Our specialized surgeons can also perform a broad range of advanced procedures with comprehensive treatment plans focused on you.
When You Should Seek Treatment From a Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation Physician
We generally recommend seeking specialized medical care from a physiatrist in any of the following circumstances:
- You’ve been in an accident that has either left you with intense pain or with severely limited range of motion.
- You’re recovering from surgery and wish to speak with us about pain management options.
- You are preparing to have surgery and wish to make a rehabilitation plan in advance.
- You have a disability or a medical condition that impedes your movement.
- You have a condition, such as arthritis, that leaves you with chronic pain, including joint pain, neck pain, or back pain.
If you meet any of these criteria, you may be a good candidate for medical treatment from our rehabilitation medicine doctor. Through nonoperative solutions, our specialty-trained physician can help you mitigate pain and restore mobility.